The last time I visited my parents we started talking about cookie flavours. I was searching for inspiration to feed my cookie cravings with. One of the first cookie flavours my dad thought of was licorice. I told him to try again, haha. Then he said spiced orange. Hmmm, now he was talking my language!
These cookies make a perfect holiday treat. They’re bursting with the traditional holiday flavours of orange, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cloves, but they’re not overly sweet so you can feel good about indulging in them. I like them as is, but if you’re looking to jazz them up a bit feel free to drizzle some dark chocolate over them or top them with an orange glaze (1/2 cup powdered coconut sugar mixed with 1 tbsp orange juice and 1/2 tsp orange zest).
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch + extra for fork dusting
- 1/4 cup potato starch
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp cloves
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 5 tbsp macadamia nut butter
- 5 tbsp coconut syrup or maple syrup
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- 1 tbsp ground flax seed mixed with 3 tbsp orange juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp orange extract
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl mix together brown rice flour, tapioca starch, potato starch, xanthan gum, baking soda sea salt and spices.
- In a separate bowl cream together the remaining ingredients.
- Add the contents of the first bowl into the second bowl and mix until just combined.
- Place spoonfuls of batter onto the lined baking sheet and press batter down with a fork dusted in tapioca starch (to prevent sticking).
- Bake the cookies for 6-8 minutes and let cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheet before moving cookies to a cooling rack.
- Enjoy as is or drizzle with dark chocolate or top with an orange glaze, if desired.
You May Also Like: