I have a confession to make.
I’ve been cheating…
…on my oatmeal. You see, oatmeal and I have a very close relationship. In fact, we’re use to spending every morning together. No matter the day, no matter the season, we are always together for breakfast. Until recently, that is. Recently I created this:
And I haven’t been able to stop eating it since.
But wait, isn’t that a bowl of oatmeal? Nope! Believe it or not that is a big bowl of creamy, delicious, sweet…
Yup, you read that correctly. I’ve been cheating on oatmeal with lentils! The day I decided to experiment with making lentils for breakfast, I never expected them to taste as amazing as they do! I also didn’t expect them to keep me full for as long as they did. Lentils are packed with protein, fiber, iron, folate, molybdenum, and manganese, just to name a few. They really are a nutritional marvel and therefore a fantastic food to incorporate into your daily diet.
And when they taste this good, they’re a welcome daily addition!
Grain-Free Cinnamon Raisin “Oatmeal”
Nutritional lentils cooked into a creamy porridge consistency, spotted with chewy raisins and topped with fragrant cinnamon.
- 1/4 cup uncooked red lentils
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp raisins, divided
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1/4 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
- optional- sweetener of choice (I used 3 drops cinnamon liquid stevia)
- Add lentils, water, cinnamon and 1 tbsp of raisins to a small sauce pan. Bring to a gentle boil over high heat then reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for 10-12 minutes, or until the water is absorbed and the lentils are soft. Remove from heat.
- Add chia seeds, non-diary milk and sweetened or choice (if using) and stir until combined.
- Pour into serving dish and let sit for 5-10 minutes. The chia seeds will absorb the extra liquid and thicken the “oatmeal”.
- Top with remaining raisins and an extra dash of cinnamon and dig in!
What’s your favourite oatmeal flavour? Leave a comment letting me know!
Calories: 304 Fat: 4.4 g (0.1 g saturated), Carbohydrates: 51.7 g, Fiber: 17.7 g, Sugar: 12.3 g, Protein: 17.3 g
Nutritional information is based on using unsweetened almond milk and liquid stevia in the recipe. Nutritional information was calculated using this.
You May Also Like:
UPDATE! This recipe has been shared at Wellness Weekend, Whole Food Fridays, Fight Back Fridays, Make Your Own Mondays, 5 Ingredient Mondays, Fat Tuesdays, Healthy Vegan Fridays, Whole Food Wednesdays, Allergy-Free Wednesdays, Tasty Traditions, Gluten-Free Fridays, Gluten-Free Wednesdays, Thank Your Body Thursday, Fresh Bites Friday and Simple Lives Thursday.