As much as I’m enjoying creating Project Light & Lean posts, I felt it was time for a good old recipe. I made this salad before the holidays for a potluck at work. I wasn’t planning on making a sushi salad, but I forgot to go to the grocery store after work and once I was in the house the last thing I wanted to do was go out again. I had to make something for the potluck with whatever I had in my fridge. I was pleasantly surprised when this is what I came up with. You can make the flavour in this dish as bold as you’d like. Since I was making it for others I kept the ginger down to 1/4 cup and the wasabi down to 1/2 tsp. When I make it for myself and my partner I use closer to 1/2 cup ginger and 1- 1 1/2 tsp wasabi.
Sushi Rice Salad
All of the bright flavours of sushi without all of the complication of making a sushi roll!
- 1 1/2 cup sushi rice
- 2 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 cups julienned cucumber
- 2 cups julienned carrot
- 1 pkg frozen spinach, thawed
- 1/4 cup pickled ginger
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/4 cup gluten-free soy sauce
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2- 1 tsp wasabi paste
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- Bring 2 1/3 cups of water to a boil over high heat. Add the sushi rice and bring the water back to a boil before reducing the heat to a simmer, covering and cooking until the water is absorbed and the rice is soft. This should take approximately 20 minutes.
- While the rice is cooking dissolve the coconut sugar into the rice vinegar.
- Once the rice is finished cooking, remove it from heat and stir in the rice vinegar mixture. Stir and let it cool uncovered while you prep the veggies.
- Julienne the carrots and cucumber and drain the thawed spinach very well. Set aside.
- Mix together gluten-free soy sauce, 2 tbsp water, sesame oil and wasabi paste until well combined. Set aside.
- Once the rice has cooled to room temperature and the rice vinegar mixture has been absorbed by the rice, stir in the carrots, cucumber, thawed and drained spinach, pickled ginger and diced avocado.
- Add the dressing and mix until combined. Top with sesame seeds. Serve right away or let chill in the fridge before serving.
You May Also Like: