I’m sure it comes as no surprise that I like to cook. I find it relaxing and a great way to clear my mind. So making dinner for myself and my partner is a task I’ve purposely taken on myself. My partner is supportive and will try whatever I’ve made. He doesn’t always like it though, and even when he does like it he’s known to say things like “this would be perfect if it had a little meat in it” or “this would make a great side dish”. I just ignore these comments because I know it has more to do with his relationship with meat and dairy than it does with my cooking. But when I made this recipe for dinner one night he was silent…until he asked if there was any left for seconds. WHAT?!?! No comment?!?! Wanting seconds?!?! My mind exploded. And then I realized that the world wasn’t coming to an end, my recipe was just that darn tasty! So tasty that my meat-loving man didn’t even notice that there was no meat in it :)
Super Creamy Portobello Mushroom Stroganoff
Whole grain rice pasta smothered in a rich and creamy mushroom sauce.
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 2 large portobello mushrooms, cubed
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup canned coconut milk
- 1 1/2 tbsp vegan & gluten-free worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp tapioca starch
- 2 1/2 cups dry pasta (I used brown rice pasta)
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and cook pasta according to package directions. Do NOT rinse pasta after it’s cooked. This will rinse away the starch that the sauce will cling to.
- Meanwhile, add onion and portobello mushroom to a frying pan along with a splash of water or vegetable broth (to prevent sticking). Cook over medium-low heat until the mushrooms release their liquid and that liquid is evaporated. This should take about 7-10 minutes.
- Whisk together vegetable broth, coconut milk, worcestershire sauce and starch and add to the cooked down mushrooms.
- Cook until the sauce begins to thicken, approximately 7-10 minutes.
- Pour sauce over cooked pasta, stir until pasta is covered and serve.
- Bake a treat out of THIS book for a healthy and delicious dessert.
You May Also Like:
UPDATE! This recipe has been shared at Gluten-Free Wednesdays.