One of my favourite things about winter is the comfort that can be achieved with a warm bowl of soup. It’s even better when that warm bowl of soup is full of vegetables but tastes like it’s full of cream. Think that’s impossible? Think again:
Cream of Chickpea Soup
A creamy soup full of veggies, chickpeas and flavour! What more could you ask for in a soup?
- 1 large head of cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 cups unsweetened non-dairy milk (I used almond)
- 2 cups gluten-free vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 clove garlic, minced
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- dash of oregano
- 1 cup peas
- 1 cup corn
- 2 cups chickpeas
- sea salt and pepper, to taste
- 2-4 cups spinach
- Add cauliflower florets, non-dairy milk, vegetable broth and water to a large pot. Bring to a gentle boil over medium heat, reduce heat to low, cover and let simmer for 5 minutes (or until cauliflower is soft).
- Use an immersion blender (or transfer to a high power blender) to puree so there are no chunks of cauliflower left. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, add onion, garlic and carrot to a frying pan with a splash of vegetable broth and dash of oregano. Heat over medium heat until the onions and garlic are fragrant and the carrots begin to soften.
- Add the peas, corn, chickpeas and sea salt/ pepper, if desire. Cook for 2-3 more minutes.
- Add the vegetable mixture to the pureed cauliflower mixture and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Remove from heat and stir in the spinach.
- Stir the soup continuously until the spinach wilts.
- Serve and enjoy!
Calories: 314.5 Fat: 4.1 g (0.3 g saturated), Carbohydrates: 60 g, Fiber: 16 g, Sugar: 5.4 g, Protein: 15.4 g
Nutritional information based on serving size of 1/4 of recipe, using 4 cups of spinach. Nutritional information was calculated using this.
You Might Also Like:
UPDATE! This recipe has been shared at Natural Living Monday.