I have no idea where the name “Cowboy Cookies” came from. I can only presume it has something to do with all the goodies that are packed into them and how that makes them suitable for a hungry cowboy? That’s my best guess. A cookie that is filled with oats, chocolate chunks, coconut and pecans is suitable for anyone in my books! Especially when they’re free of gluten, dairy, eggs, oil, and refined sugar AND look this good:
Chocolate, coconut, pecans, OH MY! These cookies are perfect alone and out of this world when dipped in a glass of non-dairy milk. The perfect late afternoon indulgence!
- 1 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 1/4 cup potato starch
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 1/2 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- 2 1/2 tbsp almond butter (or sunflower seed butter)
- 1/4 cup erythritol* (any granulated sugar will work)
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar (any granulated sugar will work)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 1/2 tbsp ground flax seeds
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup dairy-free chocolate chips/chunks
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped
*erythritol is a sugar alcohol that has no calories, does not affect blood sugar and does not decay teeth. It’s also recently been discovered to have antioxidant properties and does not cause digestive distress like some other sugar alcohols do.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets (2) with parchment paper.
- In a medium sized bowl mix together oats, rice flour, starches, xanthan gum, baking soda, baking powder and sea salt.
- In a second bowl cream together applesauce, almond butter, erithritol, coconut sugar, non-dairy milk, ground flax and vanilla extract.
- Add the contents of the second bowl to the first bowl and mix until combined. Fold in coconut, chocolate chips/chunks and pecans.
- Wet hands with cold water and form batter into balls. Place on parchment paper and press down to desired thickness.
- Bake for 14-16 minutes, or until slightly golden. Remove from oven and let cool on baking sheet for at least 5 minutes before moving to a cooling rack.
- Grab your glass of non-dairy milk and dip away!
Calories: 118.4, Fat: 6.6 g (3.2 g saturated), Carbohydrates: 15 g, Fiber: 1.3 g, Sugar: 4.7 g, Protein: 1.4 g
Nutritional information was calculated using erithritol, coconut sugar and dark chocolate chips. Serving size is 1 cookie, that is 1/24th of the recipe. Nutritional information was calculated using this.
You May Also Like:
UPDATE! This recipe has been shared at Gluten-Free Fridays, Healthy Vegan Fridays, Make Your Own Mondays, Gluten-Free Wednesdays, Wonderful Food Wednesdays, Whole Food Fridays and Real Food Wednesdays.