Yesterday in Toronto it was cold and windy. I love the winter, so I’m not complaining. In fact, I was very pleased with this weather. It’s this type of weather that makes me want to curl up in a blanket and indulge in a big bowl of something warm and soothing. Yesterday that big bowl was filled with this:
30 Minute Minestrone Soup
This soup is packed with flavour, texture and nutrients. Best of all it comes together in a matter of minutes, what more could you hope for in a bowl of soup?
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3-4 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1/2 large onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tomato, chopped
- 1 (15 oz) can red kidney beans
- 6-7 cups of water
- 2 gluten-free vegetable Boullion Cubes
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp basil
- 1/2 tsp rosemary
- 1 cup dry gluten-free elbow pasta
- Dissolve Boullion Cubes in water and set aside.
- Saute onion, garlic, carrots and celery in a large pot (medium heat) with a splash of broth (from step 1) until they are fragrant and beginning to soften.
- Add tomatoes and kidney beans and cook for 1-2 more minutes before adding the broth and spices.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, reduce heat and simmer (covered) for 15 minutes.
- Add the pasta, cover and cook for 7 more minutes.
- Divide into bowls, curl up in a blanket and enjoy!
**Note: The pasta will continue to soften and expand after the soup is done cooking. If you like a less dense soup feel free to add as much water as you’d like, just make sure to also increase the number of Boullion Cubes.
ps. In case you didn’t notice, or are new to the site, I’ve updated the layout. Take a look at the Recipe Index for a new picture guided index. I’m also working on adding nutritional information to my recipes for those who are interested. It’s time consuming though so it may take some time, but it will be done!
Calories: 224, Fat: 1.6g (0.3 saturated), Carbohydrates: 44.5g, Fiber: 9.3g, Sugar: 1.4g, Protein: 8.2g
Nutritional Information is based on serving size of 1/4 of the recipe. Nutritional information was calculated using this.